CCPA and Cookies. What do I need to know?
In this article, we explain the basics of cookies and CCPA.
CCPA is the California Consumer Privacy Act, which was passed by California legislators in June 2018. It’s the most comprehensive law in the USA which is targeted at companies that collect and/or sell personal information and gives private individuals and companies, that are based in California, more control over their own data.
CCPA introduces three major new data protection, including:
- The right to access information. It means that California consumers will be able to know which categories of information are used or sold, from whom and why certain information was collected, etc.
- Right to deletion. Any consumer will be able to ask to delete personal information that was collected about him/her.
- Right to opt-out. Similar to the GDPR, they will be able to direct a company to not sell their personal information to third parties.
The new legislative initiative will go into effect on January 1, 2020. At the same time, some CCPA issues are still in the process of clarifying and amending by local legislators. As a result, several amends were already passed and California attorney general enforcement is not expected until at least July 1, 2020.
CCPA and Cookies
The notice on collection contains the following:
- The categories of personal information you collect
- The purposes of data collection
- Information on the right to opt-out of sale of consumers’ personal information, if you sell such information and
The consumer doesn’t have to take any action about it, such as clicking an “Accept” button. That’s not required.
You need just to show the notice and your cookies are good to go.
Easy Steps to Achieve CCPA and CPRA Compliance for Your Shopify Store
As an e-commerce business owner, it is crucial to understand the significance of data privacy and the impact of privacy laws on your Shopify store. Your online store likely collects personal information for processing, making data protection laws applicable to you. In this article, you'll learn what Shopify store owners need to do for CCPA and CPRA compliance.
Understanding PIPEDA Requirements: A Comprehensive Guide to Privacy Laws in Canada
The purpose of this article is to provide an overview of PIPEDA, including its scope, requirements, exceptions, enforcement, and penalties. This article is intended to be a helpful resource for organizations seeking to comply with PIPEDA and protect the privacy of individuals whose personal information they collect, use, or disclose.
- Canada PIPEDA
What Is PIPEDA and How Does It Affect Your Business?
In this blog post, we will explore what PIPEDA is, who it applies to, and what personal data it protects. We will also examine the fair information principles of PIPEDA, the role of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, and how PIPEDA compares with other privacy laws around the world, such as the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Canada PIPEDA