CCPA and Cookies. What do I need to know?
In this article, we explain the basics of cookies and CCPA.
CCPA is the California Consumer Privacy Act, which was passed by California legislators in June 2018. It’s the most comprehensive law in the USA which is targeted at companies that collect and/or sell personal information and gives private individuals and companies, that are based in California, more control over their own data.
CCPA introduces three major new data protection, including:
- The right to access information. It means that California consumers will be able to know which categories of information are used or sold, from whom and why certain information was collected, etc.
- Right to deletion. Any consumer will be able to ask to delete personal information that was collected about him/her.
- Right to opt-out. Similar to the GDPR, they will be able to direct a company to not sell their personal information to third parties.
The new legislative initiative will go into effect on January 1, 2020. At the same time, some CCPA issues are still in the process of clarifying and amending by local legislators. As a result, several amends were already passed and California attorney general enforcement is not expected until at least July 1, 2020.
CCPA and Cookies
The notice on collection contains the following:
- The categories of personal information you collect
- The purposes of data collection
- Information on the right to opt-out of sale of consumers’ personal information, if you sell such information and
The consumer doesn’t have to take any action about it, such as clicking an “Accept” button. That’s not required.
You need just to show the notice and your cookies are good to go.
India's Data Sharing Agreement: A Comprehensive Guide to Data Protection and Non-Disclosure Agreements under India Digital Personal Data Protection Act
Explore the intricacies of data sharing in India, focusing on compliance with the Digital Personal Data Protection Act 2023 (DPDPA). Learn about the importance of Data Sharing Agreements (DSAs) and discover key elements, best practices, and legal considerations for businesses. Ensure responsible and ethical data sharing while mitigating legal risks with this comprehensive guide.
- India DPDPA
Understanding the Colorado Privacy Act (CPA) and Its Implications for Data Privacy
Explore the key provisions of the Colorado Privacy Act (CPA) and learn how businesses can achieve compliance in 2024. Discover the implications, requirements, and consumer rights outlined in this comprehensive privacy legislation, signed by Governor Jared Polis in 2021 and enforced from July 2023.
Understanding the Difference: Clickwrap Agreement vs. Browsewrap Agreement, and Enforceability of Terms and Conditions
Discover the ins and outs of clickwrap and browsewrap agreements in our comprehensive blog post. Learn their impact on user experience, enforceability under data privacy regulations, and how to choose the right agreement for your website. Clickwrap vs. browsewrap compared, including advantages, disadvantages, and crucial legal considerations.
- Data Protection